5 Ways Your Child Can Benefit From Essential Oils
Wondering how can Essential Oils benefit your children? Here are 5 amazing ways that your kiddos will benefit from Essential Oils…
As a mama, I want Nathan to be happy and healthy at all times and I use Essential Oils on him daily to support his overall well-being.
Essential Oils Safety For Babies & Children
Before we talk about how Essential Oils can benefit your kiddos, it is important to note the below safety guidelines so that they can benefit from the oils fully.
#1: Improved Focus
If you have a child who has a short attention span and needs some help with focusing especially during exam period – you can try diffusing some Essential Oils that help to boost focus and memory.
- Lavender – A Japanese study showed when Lavender is inhaled during break time, it helps improve concentration once you get back to work. The research was focused on students on their recess whereby some students were exposed to Lavender Essential Oil whilst others were exposed to Jasmine.
- Rosemary – a recent study found students who worked in a room with the scent of rosemary essential oil score 5-7% higher in memory tests. And there was even a line in Shakespeare’s play Hamlet: “There’s rosemary, that’s for rememberance.” You can either diffuse this oil or rub a few drops onto your wrists, palms or scalp.
- Peppermint – According to a study conducted in 1991, inhaling peppermint essential oil is helpful for sustaining tasks that require attention. However, do note that Peppermint is a hot oil and should be heavily diluted before using on children.
- Lemon – The zesty scent of lemon alone helps to uplift the spirit. In a particular study, inhaling lemon essential oil helped improved participants’ ability to type – workers who inhaled lemon made 54% fewer errors. Another study found that using Lemon Essential Oil helped improve cognitive function in a group of patients suffering from Alzheimer’s (they inhaled Lemon & Rosemary in the morning; Lavender & Orange at night).
- Cyprus – it helps increase concentration and blends well with other Essential Oils.
#2: Support Emotions
Life is not a bed of roses, our kiddos have their cranky moments when they throw tantrums. Or moments when they get upset. Hence Essential Oils are a great way to help support their emotions and soothe them.
Due to the fact that Essential Oils are volatile (evaporate quickly), their molecules are easily inhaled and inhaling them provide triggers to our brain. These triggers serve to affect our emotions and inhaling Essential Oils also provide physical benefits which may work together to aid in our emotional state.
My go-to oil is Lavender whenever Nathan is cranky. I will diffuse Lavender in his bedroom and massage diluted Lavender all over Nathan’s body before bedtime and he enjoys it very much!
And below are some Essential Oils that can be used to support emotions in kiddos:
- Roman Chamomile
- Ylang Ylang
- Valor – helps boost confidence & courage
#3: Better Sleep Quality
This is similar to the previous point as Essential Oils help to calm & soothe your kiddos’ emotions and hence help them to sleep better after a busy day.
Here are some oils I will diffuse and massage on Nathan before bedtime:
- Lavender – Helps with relaxation & calming
- Cedarwood – works similar to Lavender just that it has a strong woody aroma
- German Chamomile – Relaxing & aids better sleep, may support clear thinking when pollen counts are high
- Roman Chamomile – Relaxing & aids better sleep, helps relieve sore muscles
#4: Immunity Support
Kiddos get sick when exposed to viruses. Hence building their immunity system is important.
Essential Oils can help support their general wellness so that they are less susceptible to falling sick.
What I’ll usually do is to add Thieves Essential Oil blend into a roller bottle filled with a carrier oil such as Organic Coconut Oil / V-6 Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex and apply it under Nathan’s feet.
For kiddos above 6 years, you may consider using ImmuPower blend for the extra immunity boost as well.
#5: Soothe Minor Discomfort
A fever is often caused by the body’s attempt to fight infection or an injury. Parents should always treat a fever in an infant as serious. From a few months to a few years old it is generally recommended that you not treat a fever under 37.8 deg celsius unless there is severe discomfort. However, if a fever lasts more than 24 hours or reaches 39 deg celsius, it is more appropriate to seek medical attention.
For infants under 6 years, it is not recommended to use hot Essential Oils such as Peppermint. So what I’ll normally do is fill a roller bottle with some Lavender & Lemon essential oil diluted with Carrier Oil and apply it up the spine & to the bottoms of the feet.
For older children and adults, it is safe to use oils like Peppermint & Eucalyptus diluted with some carrier oil to be applied onto the bottoms of the feet, forehead, back of neck & tips of ears every 15 minutes till the fever subsides.
Flu, Cold, Congestion
For nasal congestion and phlegm, I will usually apply diluted RC Essential oil blend onto the bottoms of the feet and I realized it really works on Nathan as he starts to cough out a lot of phlegm. Another option would be Lemon and Thieves.
Best Way to Apply Oils onto Kiddos
From my experience, toddlers are very active and have difficulties staying still. Hence making prediluted roller blends makes it much easier to apply oils to Nathan because he would be running about by the time I dilute the oils separately.
So below is a great dilution chart for your reference if you would like to make roller blends for your kiddos.
If you are have not tried Essential Oils yet, please click here to get your very own set of oils now!